About Baltic Ports Organization
The Baltic Ports Organization is a regional ports organization inspiring and supporting its members while cooperating pro-actively with relevant partners. BPO was established on October 10, 1991, in Copenhagen, with an aim to facilitate cooperation among the ports and to monitor and improve the possibilities for shipping in the Baltic Sea region.
Development over the past years has proceeded very quickly and at present BPO has entered a new, challenging and exciting phase. Currently, the organization is comprised of 49 members representing the most significant ports and stakeholders in the Baltic Sea region. BPO is well-recognized within the BSR, in EU bodies and other European regions.
The organization's mission is to contribute to economic, social and environmentally sustainable development of maritime transport and the port industry in the Baltic Sea region, thereby strengthening its global competitiveness.
BPO is registered in Estonia (Port of Tallinn headquarter) and operates according to the Estonian Law on Non-profit Associations.
BPO represents the interests of the Baltic Sea ports towards EU institutions and other relevant organizations.
BPO contributes to the clean environment of the Baltic Sea, promotes environmental management in the ports and plays an active role in international dialogs where the environment is concerned (BPO Environmental Working Group).
BPO organizes dedicated conferences, seminars, study visits, dealing with questions in the area of port operation and management, and the environmental impact of port activities.
BPO supports and plays an active role in research, science, and training which lead to a better understanding of the transport sector in the region and to study future challenges.
Read the BPO Articles of Association
Interested in becoming a member? Read this!
Already decided? Click here.
- Dr Kimmo Naski, HaminaKotka - Chairman
- Dr. Gernot Tesch, Rostock - Deputy Chairman
- Martynas Armonaitis, Klaipeda - Deputy Chairman
- Ulrika Prytz Rugfelt, Copenhagen Malmö
- Ville Haapasaari, Helsinki
- Margus Vihman, Tallinn
- Ansis Zeltins, Riga
- Maciej Krzesiński, Gdynia
- Magdalena Bosson, Stockholm
- BPO Environmental Working Group
- BPO Comprehesive Ports Working Group
- BPO Cruise Managers Working Group
- BPO Digitalization Working Group
More about the Groups in the Working Groups section.
- BPO Secretary General Bogdan Ołdakowski
- BPO Executive Manager Marta Friedrichowicz
- BPO Communication Manager Monika Rogo